If a friend drives my car, is he or she covered by my policy?

Since most insurance coverage is connected directly to the car, if someone else borrows your car occasionally, he or she should be covered under your policy. Yet your premium is based on both your vehicle and the “primary” driver of that car. If someone else starts driving your car more than you do, contact your insurance agent to have them added to your policy to avoid coverage complications.


If I borrow a friend’s car and have an accident, who pays?

When you borrow someone else’s car and are involved in an accident, his or her insurance will kick in first.  However, beware of driving someone’s car if he or she has little or no insurance, as your policy could be triggered once their limits are exhausted.


My golf clubs were stolen from my vehicle. Am I covered?

If you have homeowners’ insurance, it provides coverage for personal property regardless of where you are. However, if your golf clubs were old, consider buying a replacement-cost endorsement for your personal property. This way you will get what it costs to replace the golf clubs less the applicable deductible. Talk to your insurance agent about endorsements or riders to homeowners’ policy to protect your personal property and other losses excluded on the basic policy.


My children left for college. Do I still have to include them on my policy?

Yes, because when your college student children come home to visit, they will have access to the family car. You may be eligible for reduced premiums if the college is more than a certain distance from home. Check with your insurance agent on the specifics.


I caused an accident and I am being sued by the other driver. Am I covered?

Yes. The liability portion of your policy guarantees your insurance company will defend a claim or lawsuit on your behalf, up to your policy’s limits of liability. You may want to consider purchasing an umbrella policy. It applies when any activity for which you are found liable results in the payout of a claim that exceeds the limits of an underlying home or auto insurance policy. Accidents, lawsuits, injuries while traveling, and damages caused by teen drivers are just a few examples.


Does my auto insurance policy cover my rental car on vacation?

In many instances, your personal auto policy will provide coverage for a rental car—but that coverage may be limited or have gaps in coverage depending on the contract that you have signed with the rental car company. Because insurance policies vary, it’s a good idea to give your insurance agent a call before you rent the car to make sure you have the coverage you need.


How can I be sure I have the right auto insurance coverage?

Contact Us! Having the right vehicle coverage, policy limits, and deductibles in place is an important part of financial planning. It’s not something you want to leave to chance.

Questions? We can answer them and help you tailor the right auto insurance plan for your unique situation and vehicles. Let’s Connect!


About the Authors

Connie Greenwood has over 35 years of experience as an Insurance Advisor. She enjoys helping her clients and prospects understand their insurance options, and crafting insurance solutions tailored to their unique needs. Connie finds great joy in being a trusted advisor for her clients. She loves helping protect their financial welfare against unforeseen accidents and circumstances and bringing them peace of mind.



Tim Pingel has over 20 years of experience as a personal insurance adviser. He provides individuals, couples, and families with home, auto, and umbrella insurance. His ultimate goal is to be his clients’ trusted adviser and expert, so they have the peace of mind and protection they deserve.